We only categorise our bricks by these four types of brick, not quality or grade. Therefore there may be a certain proportion of bricks in any given pallet that will be unusable depending upon the purpose and aesthetic of your project. It is for this reason that we recommend allowing for a certain percentage of wastage when planning a project using old red bricks.
As the colour and texture of our heritage bricks can vary quite dramatically depending largely upon when and how they were manufactured, we strongly recommend that all customers attend our brickyard to view and select their bricks before purchase. This ensures that customer expectations of our products are consistent with the product supplied. If for some reason it is not possible for you to visit our site, then we are able to email photos of the prospective bricks prior to the completion of any purchase order.
It is important to consider a number of factors when planning a project with recycled old red bricks.
- All recycled red bricks will have chips, blemishes and residual lime mortar; irrespective of the type of brick purchased. In many respects this is what adds to the character of our bricks. However; if you are looking for a brick without these characteristics then a new brick may be a more suitable option.
- Some Old Red Bricks are brittle & will break easily. This means that certain types of bricks are more suitable for projects then others. It also means that despite our best efforts there may be some broken bricks on a pallet.
- A pallet of bricks will have a certain percentage of unusable bricks in it; despite being sorted and graded. The number of bricks in a pallet that are unusable will depend on what the bricks are used for and how selective the person using them is. However; we always recommend allowing for additional bricks when placing an order.
- Recycled bricks will vary in size. Whilst we try to sort our bricks as consistently as possible; we have found that even bricks recycled from the same house can vary in thickness and length.
- Supply can be limited. Our supply of Old Red Bricks is contingent upon the type and number of houses we demolish. As such; it may not be possible for us to fill large orders at any one time dependant on normal market forces of supply and demand. If you have a project that requires large volumes of bricks; please give us as much notice as possible.
If you are looking to purchase bricks then please read our Terms and Conditions of sale.